Hi, I'm Devaki Douillard

Hi, I'm Devaki Douillard, the Mwebaza Foundation's Development Assistant. This year I'm returning to Africa to visit our partner schools in Uganda and Kenya. I'll be working on documentary interviews, scholarship programs, solar panel purchases, 2 new school building constructions, sustainable lunch programs and much more! Follow me on this journey from June 30th-July 26th.

The Mwebaza Foundation’s mission is to enrich the relationships among our Colorado and African partner schools through cross-cultural exchange and service learning that enhances educational opportunities, fosters a healthy learning environment, and promotes self-sufficiency.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Yesterday morning I packed up all the amazing beaded jewelry Caro made, said goodbye to my family in Gulu and departed for Kampala. I had originally planned to stay in Gulu until today but because there was still so much to accomplish at Mwebaza School before I leave for St. Paul School tomorrow, I had to leave a day early.

Today I met the newly hired maintenance workers that will be overseeing all of the ongoing projects at Mwebaza School. Samuel Lubega, Namatovu's brother, has been overseeing all of the projects at Mwebaza School so far, but on top of his job in Kampala it had become too much work for one man. So we hired a local man to oversee and maintain the egg-layer chicken program and a local lady to oversee the garden and orchard. Today, Lubega and I reviewed and explained the duties that each one will be expected to fulfill on a daily basis.

           

After we explained their duties to them, we worked as a team to fence each individual tree in the orchard. We have lost some trees since the initiation of the orchard program due to goats and cows grazing in the orchard and eating the saplings. These fences will protect the remaining trees from any further damage. 




While we were fencing the trees I made a VERY little friend! 



No comments:

Post a Comment