Hi, I'm Devaki Douillard

Hi, I'm Devaki Douillard, the Mwebaza Foundation's Development Assistant. This year I'm returning to Africa to visit our partner schools in Uganda and Kenya. I'll be working on documentary interviews, scholarship programs, solar panel purchases, 2 new school building constructions, sustainable lunch programs and much more! Follow me on this journey from June 30th-July 26th.

The Mwebaza Foundation’s mission is to enrich the relationships among our Colorado and African partner schools through cross-cultural exchange and service learning that enhances educational opportunities, fosters a healthy learning environment, and promotes self-sufficiency.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Farewell

I am leaving Africa tonight with an intense sense of accomplishment and a deeper understanding of the needs of our partner schools. Not unlike my other experiences here, the fire inside me is burning brighter and my passion renewed. Africa is a magical place and for me, very healing. I am profoundly grateful for the time I have spent here and the people I have been able to spend it with. I have always believed that everyone has something to offer if you take the time to listen, and I have come to learn that sometimes it's the people that have the least that end up having the most to offer. My hope is that my experiences here have sparked something inside of you and has inspired you to take action in whatever way you feel is right. It is too easy to become consumed by the luxuries that most of us enjoy and forget what truly matters in life - compassion for others.

My last experience in Uganda was my first time eating ensenene, or what we call grasshoppers. When it is the season for ensenene, they fry them up in buckets and eat them by the handful. In my opinion, they taste something like how fish food smells, I only tried one....


To be continued....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Devaki,
    Thank you for sharing your time in Africa! I really enjoyed reading your blog, and seeing the pictures. What an amazing experience. I appreciate getting a glimpse into the lives of the students at our sister school, and all the good the Mwebaza Foundation is doing. You're a very special person!! Safe travels home! Cheers, Anne Oberg (Gracey)

    ReplyDelete