Hi, I'm Devaki Douillard

Hi, I'm Devaki Douillard, the Mwebaza Foundation's Development Assistant. This year I'm returning to Africa to visit our partner schools in Uganda and Kenya. I'll be working on documentary interviews, scholarship programs, solar panel purchases, 2 new school building constructions, sustainable lunch programs and much more! Follow me on this journey from June 30th-July 26th.

The Mwebaza Foundation’s mission is to enrich the relationships among our Colorado and African partner schools through cross-cultural exchange and service learning that enhances educational opportunities, fosters a healthy learning environment, and promotes self-sufficiency.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

I am pleased to say that today has been quite a success. The Poly Tank expert arrived at the school a few minutes after us, so we were able to start working straight away! There was a lot to fix before the rain water collection system at Mwebaza School was up and running in tip-top shape. We needed to rearrange the pipes of one entire system and cover each tank's overflow hole so that no debris or bugs could entire into the water. After we discussed the plan of action, we brought in a local plumber and he got right to work. At the end of the day, both tanks were cleaned, the pipes were secured in the correct places, and there were no open holes for anything to contaminate the water.

While the plumber was working on this, I decided to take pictures of every Mwebaza student to attach to the pen pal letters they will be writing this week. Culturally in Uganda, people don't smile when they get their picture taken, so trying to get some of these kids to smile while I took their picture proved to be quite a challenge. Most of the students are now used to smiling for the camera after years of taking pictures for me, but I still get some of these treasures...

         

In the afternoon, I went and watched the students practice for their "Sports Day," which will take place this Sunday. Sports Day is like the American "Field Day" where everyone competes in all sorts of races and physical challenges.  The student body was divided up into 3 groups: the Eagles, the Doves, and the Cranes. I was recruited to be an Eagle, so hopefully we do well on Sunday!



                                                       

1 comment: